From: Brian Desmond [mailto:br...@briandesmond.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:50 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Windows InTune

It’s actually reasonably straight forward. All of the System Center licensing
is now rolled together into one big “management license [ML]”. You either
license it for servers or clients.

In the case of servers, for virtualization, you would likely want the
Datacenter ML on a processor basis based on how many physical VM host CPUs you
have. Each Datacenter ML gets you two physical CPUs. So if you have 3 dual
socket hosts, you need 6 Datacenter MLs.

See
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/7/0/870B5D9B-ACF1-4192-BD0A-543AF551B7AE/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20FAQ.pdf>

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/7/0/870B5D9B-ACF1-4192-BD0A-543AF551B7AE/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20FAQ.pdf

You’ll want to stand up an SCVMM server to manage HyperV and/or ESX. I found
the install and figuring it out to be pretty painless. It includes its own SQL
license of sort so you don’t have to pay extra for that.

Thanks,

Brian Desmond

br...@briandesmond.com

w – 312.625.1438 | c   – 312.731.3132