it is needed if you want to do a manual defrag of the database and/or mount a recovery store.

For a simple backup and restore it is not necessary.

Klint

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I vaguely recall a 'best practice' theory of making sure whatever drive
(volume) your exchange databases are installed on that it's a good idea the
drive space of that volume is at least 2x the size of your databases --
this is because of space needed for doing restores or something like that.

For example.  If my exchange dbs are on my e: drive and the exchange dbs
are approximately 20gb, then i should make sure i have at least a 50gb e:
drive to accommodate for space neccessary if I performed a complete
exchange restore.

Does this ring a bell or am I thinking of something else?