Second NIC and only one default gateway. What you are doing is inherently
non-deterministic in Windows.

From: Greg Sweers [mailto:gswe...@acts360.com]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 12:58 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: 2008R2 DNS, Network Location issue

How do you handle servers that have 2 IP ranges on them and you get the
wonderful Private network setting which really does not allow anything to
communicate properly.

We have a secondary IP range listed on these boxes to communicate to an app.
The Domain Controllers also have this secondary IP range on their virtual
adapter.  While this is present, it all works  just fine.  When you remove this
secondary IP range from the DC's virtual adapter, none of the guest machines
continue working properly and if you reboot it takes like 20 mins for anything
to happen while NLA just holds up everything.
Eventually the server comes up but things like Exchange, SQL, DFS don't work.
All resolution internally is fine.  If we remove the secondary IP range from an
affected server, it immediately goes to domain network and most everything
works.  A reboot and we are back in business on that box.

Should I split that secondary IP to a separate NIC across all of our boxes?

I know its something do to with how NLA is finding the DC's on that secondary
range.  I just don't know if I am going to have the same problem with just
adding another NIC?

Greg Sweers
CEO
ACTS360.com<http://www.acts360.com/>