I think I need to add them to the PC's variables first - I can do that via GPP
as well.  Using the SET command doesn't show them, so I''ll try that first.

>>> "Rankin, James R" <kz2...@googlemail.com> 9/18/2012 3:37 PM >>>
Daft question...do those variables resolve on the clients? If they are XP, do
they have the Group Policy Client Side Extensions installed?
---Blackberried
From: "Tom Miller" <tmil...@hnncsb.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:23:51 -0400
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
ReplyTo: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Subject: Variables in AD group policy preferences

I am trying to change from GPP items from directories like c:\windows\system32
to %SystemDir%.  I push a number of icons to staff PCs, and use those icons for
various desktop links.  It works fine when I use the full path for destination.
 It never works when I use variables.

I also have desktop icons  that used to point to c:\program files\microsoft
office....excel.exe.  Works fine,  When I change it to %ProgramDir%\microsoft
office..\ecxel.exe it never works.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.