Ease of deployment and expansion. If you use the Dell stuff along with
VDI-In-A-Box, you basically just buy what you need, stand it up and add
more as necessary. It's dead easy to get it set up and running - hence the
name.

However - there is currently no migration process between the higher-end
VDI solutions that Citrix offer (XenDesktop) and VDI-In-A-Box. So if you
start with VIAB and decide you need the better management tools and
features of XenDesktop, you'd have to rip VIAB out and start again. But
VIAB is not just for "small" deployments and XenDesktop for large ones - it
just depends on the features you require. I've seen big deployments of VIAB
and small implementations of XenDesktop.

It really depends on how complex you envisage your VDI infrastructure
getting. If you are deploying a standard image and don't need a lot of
persistent desktops, VIAB may fit your needs well. It's ridiculously easy
to add more grids and expand the deployment. But there's also a price
difference to take into account that may or may not be suitable for you
dependent on other Citrix licenses you may possess.

I think Citrix should have a matrix of features between the two somewhere.
This may give you an overview of these two and some others as well

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/rubenspruijt/archive/2012/08/24/smackdown-your-vdesktop-head-to-head-analysis-of-citrix-xendesktop-microsoft-vdi-remotefx-quest-vworkspace-and-vmware-view.aspx

On 6 November 2012 16:59, Matthew W. Ross <mr...@ephrataschools.org> wrote:

> Hey list.
>
> We're just starting to re-visit desktop virtualization. Here's a simple
> question for you:
>
> What the difference between Citrix's "VDI-in-a-Box" vs traditional VDI
> solutions? Opinions on where it fits in Desktop Virtualization are welcome.
>

> --Matt Ross
> Ephrata School District

> To manage subscriptions click here:

*James Rankin*