In addition to malwarebytes and VIPRE, I’m a big fan of ComboFix.

-Paul

From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Kurt's current security recommendations for your computer - the 2012
update

All,

I sent out the last version of this back over a year ago. It's time for a
refresh. I've only done a few minor updates, as things haven't really changed
much. However, I'd be pleased if share with me any thoughts you have on what
I've written.

The first thing to remember is that security (computer or otherwise) is not an
end state. It's a process, and a mind set. Why do security professionals say
that? For three related reasons:

    o- The world changes
    Trite, perhaps, but it's fundamental. For the computing world, this means
new applications, new versions of applications, new versions of operating
systems, patches to current operating systems and applications, etc. It also
means new criminals and new ways of crime - they are tricksy beasts.

    o- All software has bugs
    Lots of them. If (when!) encountered, many of those bugs will cause your
computer to behave in ways that are much less safe than you would hope or
expect.

    o- The computing world has more risks than the physical world
    There are hostile actors in the computing world trying to take advantage of
the above, which means that what might have been relatively safe earlier is
unlikely to be so in short order. What you *MUST* understand is that, for these
people, infecting your computer is a business. They make money from it, in
several different ways. The specifics of the business are beyond the scope of
this discussion, but understanding that should lead you to understand that you
and your computer are a target, no matter how insignificant or obscure you
think you or your computer might be. And, they can be anywhere in the world -
Bulgaria, China and North Dakota are as close and your next door neighbor.

But, all is not lost, nor insuperable. Understanding the above, and following a
few pieces of advice, will keep you out of most trouble and will improve your
odds of safe computing over the longer term.

Understand that the situation in the computing world is fluid and that the
enemy is mobile, agile and hostile, and you're in better shape that would
otherwise be the case.

So, the advice, in rough order:

o- Mobile devices are still more dangerous than traditional computers such as
laptops and desktops
    They, and the software on them, are still not mature, and methods for using
and managing them safely are not well developed. In particular, it's very
difficult to achieve separation of privileges between administrative functions
and normal user functions, because there aren't any easy ways to use more than
one account. What that means, and why this is important will become a bit more
clear if you read this whole message. Right now I'll just caution you that
mobile devices are under intense scrutiny by computer criminals for any
advantage, and are the fastest rising targets for malicious activity. Be
careful with them.
    Don't
    a) install apps without understanding what they do and what privileges they
require,
    b) open random text messages - especially you shouldn't follow links in
text message to web sites, or
    c) perform any really sensitive tasks on them - by this I mostly mean doing
financial tasks or keeping financial data on the device without encrypting it.

Do keep your eyes peeled for good security software and for unexpected or
suspicious behavior on your mobile device.

o- Keep your machine patched
    For your computer's operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux or other) and for
every program that you commonly use on your machine, make sure that at least
once a month you visit the vendor's web site and keep current with the latest
security updates. This includes your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux,
whatever), and your application software - not only the major pieces like MS
Office or OpenOffice, and your web browser, but also the various Adobe products
(including especially Acrobat Reader, Flash and Shockwave), Java (if it's
installed) and any other free or paid software you use.
    Fortunately much software now is capable of updating itself. Pay attention
though - make sure that if you get a piece of software that wants to update
itself that it's *really* that software that's asking.

o-  Simple is better
    Uninstall any software that you don't use any more, or that you don't use
regularly enough to make it worth keeping around. Also, don't gratuitously or
promiscuously install software, especially if a web page unexpectedly prompts
you do to so. This especially means supposed video codecs from some web sites,
or special drivers to see or work with content on their pages. If they want you
to do that, be extremely suspicious of it. Some software asks if you want to
install addons from partners. Decline them. Even if they are from legitimate
firms, these addons usually cause nothing but grief. (The free Adobe Acrobat
Reader and Flash Player are two of the most egregious in this regard, but Sun's
Java is also prone to it.)

o- Be cautious browsing the web
    Hover your mouse over any link before clicking on it, whether in email or
on a web page. You should see either a popup or a notification at the bottom of
the page of what's really in that link. If the popup doesn't match the visible
link, don't click on it.

o- Be cautious reading email
    If you're using an email application such as Outlook, Pegasus or some other
non-web-browser email, you should be able to set it so that by default it
displays only plain text. Don't click on links just because they appear in
emails that appear to come from someone you know, or from your bank or credit
card vendor. After inspecting an email and deciding it's worthy, you should be
able to cause it to display any web content. Most emails are not worthy.

o- Fortify your browser
    Use browser-based tools to help protect you from malicious web content. My
favorite browser is Firefox. Hands down, it's the best of the browsers, for one
simple reason: it has the best security plugins I know of. I use bunches of
plugins and addons for various purposes (many of them not related to security),
but these are the ones that I absolutely install wherever I can - each covers a
different facet of web security:

   NoScript
   Request Policy
   Adblock Plus
   Better Privacy
   Ghostery - new for this edition of my advice

Be aware that the first two, in their default configurations, are fairly
disruptive, until you know what they do and how to work with them. They extract
a price, in that you must pay attention to them, and understand what they are
doing, in order to optimise your browsing experience. They pay big dividends,
though, in much safer browsing. They will also astonish you, by revealing how
incredibly complex web pages are, and how many agents have their fingers in
your browsing.

    Better Privacy and Ghostery in their default configurations aren't
intrusive, but can be if you get carried away with them, although they are also
extremely valuable.

    A fascinating addon for Firefox is Collusion. It aims to demonstrate which
web sites know about you and talk with each other about your browsing habits.
It doesn't prevent anything - it's merely shows you a graph, but it's really
useful for understanding how the web is tied together.

o- Get a good antimalware package
     I like Sunbelt Software's VIPRE. I *don't* like either McAfee or Symantec.
I've heard good things about Kaspersky, but haven't used it. Trend used to be
good, but I have no opinion on it currently, because I haven't used it in
years. Microsoft's Security Essentials is free and does a very good job, but
it's only for Windows. There are lots of others, and I have no way to tell you
anything about them, as I haven't used them.

o- Don't panic
    If, in spite of having a good antimalware package, your computer does get
infected, you will need to use other software to help out. Currently, I'm a big
fan of malwarebytes - you can get a free version from
http://www.malwarebytes.com. Also recommended is VIPRE Live - get it from
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com. Don't run them at the same time - let one
finish, then run the other. If things are really fubar'ed you'll want to engage
a professional, as there are other tools out that require more expertise to
use, such as UBCD4Win, various Linux-based rescue disks, etc. Please understand
that not all situations can be remedied, so be cautious in your computing.

o- You are not a computer, and your memory is limited and much more volatile
    You probably visit many different web sites, for many different purposes,
many of which require an ID and password. Use a different ID and password for
every one of them. You are going to have problems remembering that much account
information, so use an application to help you manage them - there are two that
I can recommend:

   Password Safe
   Keepass

Both are good, and allow you to use a single master password to protect your
other passwords and other account details. Both of these, BTW, have versions
that work on smart phones, too.

o- Refresh your passwords
    Change your passwords regularly, for all of your accounts, both on your
computer and for the various web sites you browse. The fundamental rules of
passwords are:

   - The longer and more complex they are, the better
   - Change web site passwords at least every six months
   - Change each of your passwords at least every six months - though the
longer the password the longer you can go between password changes

Wherever I can, I use a passphrase, which is really just a very long password,
but it's easier to type and remember. It's easier because it's a regular
sentence, with punctuation, spaces and capitalization all correct. If you throw
in a number, you're especially well off. By way of example, I consider the
sentence

     There are 23 ways to cook pasta.

much easier to remember and type than something like

      X8&2Rdd-/az

and it's stronger, too.

For web pages that don't allow really long passwords/passphrases, you have your
password manager to help generate random passwords of sufficient complexity.

o- Lie to web sites
    When they are asking you to answer security questions that will be used to
reset passwords or verify your identity in some way, don't give them a real
answer. If, for instance, they ask for your mother's maiden name, use something
else, like the name of your high school PE teacher or the kind of car you like,
or your favorite sports team. Record that in your password management
application. Lie to web sites about everything you can. Use different answers
for different web sites. Why? Two reasons.
     1) Because it helps keep your privacy - more than would otherwise be the
case.
     2) Because if hackers crack the web site and get the data, it won't be
applicable to your other accounts.

     Keep your lies straight with your password manager.

o- Back up your data
    If you have data on your machine that you would be unhappy to lose
permanently, regularly copy that data somewhere else - perhaps even two or
three places, and if it's *really* valuable data, make sure a copy is stored
somewhere away from the building in which your computer resides. Valuable data
comes in many forms: Financial records and pictures/videos are the two most
common, but only you can judge what's valuable to you. Don't forget to include
backups of the data in your password management system. Pro tip: It's not a
really good idea to keep backups from your home computer at work. Why? Because
your work might consider it *theirs* if you do, or you might lose your job and
not have time to take it with you after being frogmarched out the door due to
layoffs, or something stupid like that. It's also true in reverse. Storing work
data at home is a sin. Don't do it.

o- Keep your passwords on paper, and on your person or another safe place
    If you're away from your computer, and need use someone else's to get to a
web site that needs a password, you can use the list of your most important
accounts and passwords that you've printed out and keep safe in your wallet or
purse. Then, when you get home, you'll change that password immediately,
because you don't know what else was running on the computer you borrowed.

o- Understand the principle of Least Privilege, and don't be an Administrator
all the time
    One of the hardest practices of them all to perform well, because everyone
(including me!) is lazy, and because operating systems don't always make it
easy, is to use two different computer account logins on your personal
computer. Why? Because there are two different sets of tasks that you perform
on your computer. The first set of tasks is the set that you bought your
computer to help with - playing games, web browsing, reading emails, whatever.
This set of tasks should be done with an account that has very little power on
your machine. You shouldn't be able to install software or change major
system-wide settings with this account. Why? Because this is the account you'll
use to do things in the relatively dangerous world of the Internet. The other
account is the Administrator or root account. This is the account you use to
perform the other set of tasks on your computer - maintenance, including
installing software and changing major system-wide settings. Never do anything
else with this account - don't browse the web (other than to get updates from
the publishers of the software you use) or play games or anything else with
that account. This approach is called, among other things, Least Privilege
Computing. If you're running Windows, one tool that helps with this is native
to the operating system: RunAs. It allows you to log in as your less-privileged
user, and then run a necessary program as your higher-privileged account. I
don't know Macs, but for Linux and other Unix variants, there are similar
tools. And, please, don't use the same password for these two accounts.

If you can follow all of the above, you'll do as well as anyone else - and
better than many professionals.

I hope this was helpful, rather than overwhelming.

Kurt

or send an email to