From: Jim Holmgren [mailto:jholmg...@xlhealth.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:20 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: File Services Clustering in Server 2012

Valid point Z, but I think you also have to consider loss of
productivity/revenue and RTO.

Suppose I have a mission critical system that fails due to ... let's say a
corrupt OS file.   If it takes 1 hour to recover a single-instance server
(Physical or VM) vs. 2 minutes to fail over to a secondary node in a cluster,
that's 58 minutes of avoidable downtime to my employees.

Further suppose that the business unit that relies on this system  generates
approximately  $50,000 in revenue per hour.   That is about $48,000 in lost
revenue.   I realize this is simplifying the issue a bit, but to me, in this
case, it is worth the extra effort to avoid that additional downtime.

I think it really boils down to what is acceptable risk to the business on a
particular system - there is no real cut-and-dried answer.

Jim

Jim Holmgren
Director of Technology Infrastructure
XLHealth Corporation