From: pdw1...@hotmail.com [mailto:pdw1...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 9:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Managed service

"...frees local IT up to focus..."

And to stand in the unemployment line.  You forgot to add that little line
which is a fact of life in IT.

________________________________
From: gswe...@acts360.com<mailto:gswe...@acts360.com>
To:
ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com<mailto:ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 02:49:50 +0000
I run what is a considered a Managed Services Organization.  So I can speak to
this pretty well.  This is not a solicitation or pitch, its just what we do and
answering the thread.

The growing trend among IT business owners is to bid a monthly service for
various levels of support.  Our most common is AYCE (All You Can Eat), we
charge a fee per device.  Server/Workstation/Network Device(Switch, Wireless,
Firewall) and Backup.  Based on volume pricing is varied.  Everything is
covered within support of the servers/desktops/equipment.  Dealing with
vendors, identifying issues, optimizing performance, replacing equipment, and
managing all aspects of covered equipment.  Backup is completely image based
with Log truncation and database mount verification with local
full/incrementals for scoped length of terms and Warm Standby.  Data is also
replicated to a Top level datacenter where we can spin up the entire
environment within a few minutes.

 Project work is a seperate scope unless built into the monthly, usually for a
given # of hours each month.  Goes towards VCIO/Consulting/Project work.

In a typical managed environment you will pay to not worry about the
maintenance, realtime monitoring, automated remediation with manual if
thresholds do not rectify in short order.  Patching, antivirus, performance
tuning, application installations, image building, backups and offsite
replication all included, verified, tested 24x7, software updates, and help
desk support for a single monthly fee.

When you factor the costs into managing this and ENSURING its 100% 24x7 for
organizations the cost of labor, software, and servers to perform these tasks
usually outstrips the cost of the monthly.

We also offer Tier 2 services to support local IT guys who just need outsourced
help for projects or to offload, or backup services so they never worry about
it.  Just get reports and confirmations of backups/work performed.

Then we move this and apply it to our Cloud services with a different twist.

This is the growing trend and what more and more providers are doing in terms
of flat fees.  Guarantees revenues, and we have built systems and processes
that performs excellently with a minimal amount of manual intervention thereby
lowering costs.  When you build it to scale, you can do much more work with
less people, which frees local IT up to focus the IT strategy to be in line
with the business goals and not worry about keeping IT up.

Greg Sweers
CEO
ACTS360.com<http://www.acts360.com/>
P.O. Box 1193