Do a domain account as you describe and set the account to expire tomorrow.
When they need it you re-enable it and set it to expire again the next day.
Still manual intervention on your part but the automatic expire solves the
ongoing access issue.

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 10:41 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Occasional local admin needed

How would you guys handle this? I have a server that the developers use that
they occasionally (once a month or so) need local admin access for to
install/upgrade an app or feature they use. This is a new-ish server that
previously I have just added a user (it's the same one each time) to the local
admin group then a week later took them out, but that's cumbersome and I become
the single point of failure on remembering to back them out.

I could 1. create a special AD account for this user to be local admin, or 2.
create an  AD group, put this person in it, then GPO that group into local
admins on that server.

Suggestions?
David Lum
Sr. Systems Engineer // NWEATM
Office 503.548.5229 // Cell (voice/text) 503.267.9764

or send an email to