So in further narrowing this down with my boss, here's what we want:
(that I know of, so far)

- want to access the app from a web browser
- client OSes will be many XP w/SP3, some Win 7
- do not want clients to see a full desktop, only the one crappy app
they need to access
- and, just to make it more interesting, the app is a traditional,
fat, full client-server app, that uses too much bandwidth to run
remotely, hence the need to run this way
- the app has it's own security, own IDs and passwords, separate from
our domain logins

So it looks like I want Remote Desktop Web Access, so the clients can
connect using a web browser. Not sure if that means I also then need
to set up RemoteApp on the server, so that when they do connect, they
will see only the one app I have "published", and can only execute
that. Sounds like it, from the skimming I've done so far.

Right now, what we happens is: you (the client) start a browser
session. We have a load balancer, which routes you to a Ctirix XenApp
server, where you authenticate with a domain ID, and then it shows you
the one and only app you can run. Choosing it then prompts you for the
application security (ID and password). Then you see the rest - entry
screens, etc.

I should be able to replace all the Citrix parts with Server 2012 and
RDS, and the users should just be able to toodle right along. (well,
the web interface to choose the app will change, but other than that,
it should be all the same to the end users).