Well, it looks to me like they've figured out how to get a root shell open
on various Linksys routers.  What that means, essentially, is that the
attacker can make that little Internet-connected computer do pretty much
whatever he or she wants it to do.  Packet capture and forwarding of all
your Internet traffic to an external server, spamming, you name it and it's
theoretically possible.

What isn't clear (at least to me) is whether the attack is successful from
the outside.  The demo is from the LAN.