Hi all. Working with a client that runs a variety of real estate locations,
leasing space to tenants. Locations are large. The new one that's being
built out covers close to 50 acres. There will be a bunch of tenants,
ranging from small (2-10) to large (1,000-2,000) users per tenant.
Building management will be providing networking as a service, with Avaya
phones, IP, and internet for clients. All clients will be logically isolated
from all others but will be on the same switch fabric and use the same
internet pipe.

I lose sleep over these types of implementations. I seem to be the only one
who is highly concerned about security threats. We have some very good
networking guys doing the routing/switching/firewall stuff, but there are
still obviously significant security concerns. It's trivial for a tenant on
the inside to set up bad guy stuff and start pounding on the internal
network. The Cisco guys are much more focused on outside-to-inside security.

I'm looking for good info on internal networking security in this sort of
implementation. My google-fu isn't working. Most of the multi-tenancy stuff
I'm finding is geared towards virtualization, cloud services, and the like.

My AOO will include providing DHCP for the VoIP phone system and all the
data VLANs. I also need to advise on internal security and isolation. So I'm
trying to find good resources on those sorts of thing. I'm also thinking we
should have some sort of IDS/IPS on the internal network to stop or at least
flag the internal hacker. Any recommendations along those lines?

One more thing if that's not enough... As management is selling per-port
networking services, is there any way to identify or prevent someone from
plugging in router inside their subnet and adding ports?

TIA

Charlie Kaiser
charl...@golden-eagle.org
Kingman, AZ