I have moved WSUS servers twice. It isn't worth it, just redo it. It doesn't
take that long to mass approve the updates.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:49 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Advice on migrating WSUS 3.0 SP2 from Win2003 32bit to Win2008 R2

I've asked this on the WSUS list over at PatchManahement.org, but while I am
waiting on their wisdom, I thought I would ask here, as well.

I am using WSUS 3.0 SP2 on a Win2003 SP2 VM, and I need to move it to a Win2008
R2 VM, and while I am it, change the server name.

Since I posted on the other list, I have determined (I think) that my database
is the default Windows Internal database. I have a SUSDB.MDF file, and a
separate SUSDB.BAK in a different folder. I must have set that backup up at one
point, and pointed it to that backup folder, but it was so long ago, I've
forgotten, and there is no documentation here.

I found this link - "How to move WSUS from one server to another"
<http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2009/07/02/how-to-move-wsus-from-one-server-to-another.aspx>,
This blog post is 3.5 years old; is it still valid? Almost all the comments say
this procedure did not work for them. If not, is there a better step-by-step
guide?

Thanks for any help.