Would it be easier to put the test subjects in their own OU, block the domain
gpo for updates and make a new gpo for that ou?  After testing is complete you
now have a tested gpo to roll out with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:35 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Registry entries to set a WSUS client

I'd like to test my new WSUS server, before changing my GPO to point to it. And
it occurred to me that I could set a couple test VMs to point to the new
server, and see if they can get their updates from it, before making the change
to the GPO. There used to be a way to set this via registry entries. Anybody
know if this would this still work on a Win2008 R2 server?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate]
"WUServer"="http://new-WSUS-server";
"WUStatusServer"="http://new-WSUS-server";

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000001
"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000001
"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:00000001
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

If I import these registry entries to a test Win2003 and Win2008 R2 VMs, and
then stop and start the Windows Update service, those VMs should check in with
the new server, and get it's updates. Then I can see that the new server is
working. Then I can change the GPO ...

Thanks