From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]
Sent: Monday, 25 February 2013 9:23 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: MS Azure cloud evaporates

In large orgs, it will be impossible (at least in the near future) to avoid all
issues like this. There's simply too much that isn't automated, or where the
full set of rules aren't loaded into your automation tool, or the tasks are
divided between too many people. Large orgs have SEV1s every day, and it's not
always because of negligence - there's simply too many interdependencies that
are unknown.

For kicks, who here knows that installing AD creates a self-signed cert that's
the default EFS recovery agent for machine based EFS? And it expires after
three years? Stuff like this just happens in the background and can break
things, simply because the PKI team doesn't know about the cert (not issued by
the CAs), the AD team doesn't manage encryption, and which ever app team
decided to use machine based EFS didn't think to sorry about recovery agents.
And this is just a technical problem - when you start to throw finance and HR
and other areas into the mix, things will always fall through the gaps.

Cheers
Ken