http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179442

I would look here.
How to configure a firewall for domains and trusts

Just because you can't ping the endpoint doesn't mean it isn't available.

You can do the following if you need to determine if an endpoint is open.

Get a copy of Nmap or if you have a Linux Box you can use tcptraceroute or Nmap
also.

To test you tell Nmap not to ping the host.

Nmap -sS -sV -P0 -p- ip address of endpoint. ( this will do all 65535 ports and
tell you what you have open from your system)

Tcptraceroute IP_addresss dest_port ( so if I wanted to tcptraceroute to
123.45.67.89 port 135 I would do the following)
Tcptraceroute 123.45.67.89 135

HTH I think you up against a FW issue nobody on the other side is telling you
about..

Edward E. Ziots, CISSP, CISA, Security +, Network +
Security Engineer
Lifespan Organization
ezi...@lifespan.org
Work:401-444-9081

This electronic message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If you are reading this message, but are not the
intended recipient, nor an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are
strictly prohibited from copying, printing, forwarding or otherwise
disseminating this communication. If you have received this communication in
error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to the message. Then,
delete the message from your computer. Thank you.