From: Bill Songstad [mailto:bsongs...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:23 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: GPOs back from the dead

Hi folks.  I have an issue that I can't seem to pin down and am hoping someone
here can help out.  I recently inherited a W2K3 domain with about 20 DCs - some
W2K3 some W2K8R2.  The Default Domain Controller's policy is largely empty.
However, at some point in the past, the Default Domain Controller's policy had
dozens of settings.  I recently moved a number of DCs into another container
where the Default Domain Controllers policy was applied and enforced above a
policy to temporarily change some WSUS settings.  However, some of the DCs
started applying the old (years old...) Default Domain Controllers policy.
RSOP.msc revealed the dozens of policies from the old Default Domain
Controllers policy being applied.  Then when I moved the DC back to its
original container and ran gpupdate /target:computer /force, the policy was
updated to the current policy and related problems went away.

Checking the sysvol folder on all of the DCs for policies referencing the old
settings I discovered that 17 of 20 DCs have a secedit folder in sysvol
\Policies\{6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04fB984F9}\MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows
NT with the old policies configured.  There are also 3 to 5 folders named
secedit_ntfrs_xxxxxxxx  that do not have the settings or any settings for that
matter.  The other 3 DCs do not have the secedit folder at all, but they do
have the secedit_ntfrs_xxxxxxxx folders.

So, I have two questions.  1) Why did these settings suddenly get applied?  I
mean the same Default Domain Controllers Policy was linked and enforced in both
containers.

and

2) How do I exorcise these old settings?  Just delete the Secedit folders with
the old data?  Delete the gptTmpl.inf files with the old data?  Something else?
 I'm a little fearful of blowing things out of the sysvol folder even if they
are wrong.  I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the replication process.

Thanks for any insight,

Bill