I wouldn't let any exe's on any user share anywhere. I block all of that and a
host of others that we deemed unneeded with FSRM.

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:47 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Blocking executables for the root of a share

Our last two virus incidents involved dropping an *.EXE at the root of our
primary shared drive. Would it make sense to treat the root of a share the same
as Windows 7 treats %OSDRIVE% and not allow the creation or running of
executables in the share's root, or is that reacting too specifically to our
latest events?

Implementing this blocking is relatively straightforward. GPO can prevent the
execution in specific folder, and McAfee can block the creation of said files.
David Lum
Sr. Systems Engineer // NWEATM
Office 503.548.5229 // Cell (voice/text) 503.267.9764

or send an email to