From: Webster <webs...@carlwebster.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:59:28
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>Subject: RE: Very weird file rename issue

Is this it?  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953945

Thanks

Webster

From: Damien Solodow [mailto:damien.solo...@harrison.edu]
Subject: Very weird file rename issue

I've encountered a very odd issue around renaming files on a network drive.
The file is in the user's redirected "My Documents", and they are the owner of
said file and have Full Control for it in the NTFS permissions.

When they try to rename the file to replace a lowercase letter with the same
letter in uppercase, they get a message that says "You need permission to
perform this action. You require permission for OUR_DOMAIN\Their.username to
make changes to this file."

However, if they rename the file and replace that letter with something
different, it's fine.

So for example, the file is called 'firstName.txt' and they try to rename it to
'FirstName.txt' it will throw the error. But if they rename it to
'LirstName.txt' it's happen. They can then rename it to 'FirstName.txt' and
it's fine.

The clients are all Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1, but I have seen this on
remote file servers that are Windows 2003 as well as 2008 R2. It doesn't seem
to matter what the file type is (text, WordDoc, etc), and doesn't happen on
local drives.

Anyone seen this oddity before?