-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Subject: Re: On the subject of security...

>> Everything is about /management/ of risk, not 99.99% avoidance of risk.
>
> You manage risk by taking countermeasures, I believe, not by ignoring them.

Where do you get this framework from?

Most risk management people I've talked to would say that all the below are
legitimate responses to risks
a) mitigate
b) transfer
c) accept
d) avoid

> OTOH, I think you seriously underestimate the risks of web browsing to your
> finances, identity
> and reputation, and also the costs of repairing them.

OK - please educate us on these risks and costs.

My understanding is that most fraud and identity theft occurs offline. Secondly
some of the things you do (like encrypt drives) aren't going to help with
dangerous web browsing habits.

So, what's the real risks of browing the web? I've never seen any real research
on this.

Cheers
Ken