"Andy Shook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/22/2008 08:50:53
AM:

> List,
> Today is moving day for me, I will be relocating our data
> center to our brand, spanking new building starting at noon and
> going until the job is complete.  Your tips, tricks, thoughts
> and prayers are coveted during this time, as my list
> involvement will be next to nothing over the weekend.

Good luck!  I coordinated a data center move in a past life and it was
quite an experience!

Hopefully by now you have everything documented and a plan for what order
to bring your stuff back up.  And people you trust physically moving
everything :)

We had the new space pre-wired and ready to go for power and network, so
it was as simple as setting the racks in place, plugging in the PDU's,
re-racking all the equipment, then plugging it all back in.  Took the
better part of a day, and we had some clean up over the next week but it
was nice once everything was back up and working!

Oh yeah, count on a few hard drives dying.  I think we had two - luckily
in different RAID groups - that failed to spin back up.  That goes without
saying - having at least one good backup of everything - I had two ;)

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar