On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:38 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I'd asked the group about leaving the old GPO for Acrobat (which installed
>  8.1.1) when 8.1.2 came out.  I was told I could leave the 8.1.1 as is, and
>  the system would apply the newer one.

  If you add a newer version of a "Software Installation" item to *the
same GPO*, that item will upgrade the older versions.  The system
looks at SI items in the same GPO to find items to get upgraded.

  If you add the SI to an entirely new GPO, then I believe both will
end up getting installed, or at least try to get installed, which
sounds like what you've got.

>  Where in the network is the "leave it the $#*& alone!" setting for once a
>  GPO has been applied?

  GPOs are more-or-less continuously applied, as long as they are in
scope.  They aren't a one-time thing.  Software installation happens
during boot for anything a GPO says should be installed.  If MSI
thinks something isn't installed, and a GPO says it should be, it will
(re)install it during boot.

  There is an option that tells Windows to leave software installed if
the GPO which installed it falls out of scope.  If that option is not
enabled, when a GPO falls out of scope, any software it caused to be
installed will be automatically uninstalled during next boot.

-- Ben