Don't?

I think the term is an oxymoron, given the state of the IP stacks and
other software on all printers I've heard of.

See, for instance, this article

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Printers/Multifunction-Printers-The-Forgotten-Security-Risk/1/

And this:

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=135564&WT.svl=news1_2

Quote from the second link:

"Immunity only discloses the zero-day bugs it finds to its clients,
not to the vendors themselves. "We do a lot of research when we do a
pen-test... to find an '0-day' against your custom technology," he
says. "We'll analyze a random printer DLL you have installed, write an
exploit, and use that on your network," he says, to help companies
better secure their environments. "

Kurt