On 10 Mar 2008 at 12:55, Louis, Joe wrote:

> I don't backup desktops or laptops. Our users have been told many
> times (and it's been reinforced by crashes) to not keep any data
> locale to their machines. In the world of road warriors where they are
> connecting remotely for various reasons, there's little reason to not
> keep the most recent copy of their work on a user/group/etc share; one
> that is backed up regularly.

Nothing automatic.  I'm looking into BackupPC as a possibility.

I only back up some critical files from a few desktops in an accounting
department that serves two companies; for company reasons we can't
store data from these desktops on either server since the accounting is
separate.

For laptops, depending on the use, either I have moved "My Docs" to the
server (if the laptop never runs off the network) or enabled manual
synching of "My Docs" between the laptop and user's home directory on
the server.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
http://www.geoapps.com/