From: Ben Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 11 March 2008 11:51 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Proxy server configurations

On 3/10/08, Edwards, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have some issues with traveling users that have to manually
> switch the proxy setting while not connected to the corp network
> and then back again when connecting via VPN or directly. We
> use a .pac file for auto config ...

  You need to implement WPAD (Web Proxy Auto Detection).  Since you
already have your PAC script, you're most of the way there.  WPAD is
basically just a standard that says, "Look for a proxy config script
called http://wpad/wpad.dat and use it if you find it."  Then set your
roaming users to do proxy auto-detection, and problem solved.

  So, create a DNS alias (CNAME) called "wpad" in whatever DNS zone
your LAN hands out as the default parent domain name.  For example, if
your LAN uses "corp.example.com", you would want
"wpad.corp.example.com".  Make the target of the CNAME whatever the
name of the web server holding your PAC script is.

  Then, on the web server, create a redirection/alias/whatever named
"/wpad.dat" that points to your PAC script.  For example, on my
network, "http://wpad/wpad.dat"; ends up redirecting to
"http://foogate/proxy.pac";.

  If you're using IIS, I believe what you do is create a "Virtual
Directory" object called "wpad.dat", and set the "content" to be a
"Redirection URL", but I don't use IIS much and I'm not near a Win
server right now.

  Which Apache, you just add "Redirect /wpad.dat
http://whereever/proxy.pac"; to your config file.

  HTH,

-- Ben