Spent a bunch of time trying to hunt down the following:
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1054
Date:           3/12/2008
Time:           8:42:38 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       ServerName
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An
unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

We were getting this on a bunch of new servers, all running Win2003 R2 64bit.
It's also showing up on a number of XP machines.  Finally decided to just open
a ticket with MS.

The problem is apparently a "slow link detection", which is of course
abundantly obvious from the errors.  Per MS, we did the following reghacks:

Registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
Value name: GroupPolicyMinTransferRate
Value type: DWORD
Value Data: 0

Registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
Value name: GroupPolicyMinTransferRate
Value type: DWORD
Value Data: 0

Note: if the "System" key doesn't exist, please create it under
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows &
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows first.

>From the MS tech support rep:

"It is possible that certain firewall program (such as Windows Firewall) is
installed on all your machines and configured to block the normal ICMP packets.
Sometimes it may be also caused by some models of CPU.

For example, there is a known bug with AMD Opteron Processor driver for Windows
XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16, which allows the
system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination
that match the instantaneous user performance need.  The slow link detection
depends on the CPU clock to calculate the speed. However, it may fail when
working along with AMD Opteron driver. Recently we have received many reports
that this known bug in the AMD CPU driver often causes the group policy
detection failure. AMD has provided a new version of driver to solve such
similar problems. You can get this point from:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html";

We've done the reghack, not updated the drivers as yet.