I second the windows 2003 security guide as giving you a good baseline
for security auditing.  Here are some other good links:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/5658fae8-985f-48c
c-b1bf-bd47dc2109161033.mspx?pf=true

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows-Active-Directory-Auditing
.html

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/serversecurity/tcg/tc
gch03n.mspx

As Z said, what you audit for depends on your needs, but these should be
some good resources to help you determine what you want to do.  On top
of that, if you can swing it, I would highly recommend a centralized log
management solution, free or otherwise, to collect your event logs into
one location.  Makes it much easier for analysis and correlation.

James Winzenz

Infrastructure Engineer - Security

Pulte Homes Information Services