That would be a handy tool to have.

Bob Fronk

From: Micheal Espinola Jr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 12:12 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Official time: 1 hour 3 minutes

>From what I can see, the Symantec CleanWipe utility has no restrictions
on its use or distribution.  I am going to put it up on my site after I
give it another review and some minor documentation.

If anyone has anything else similar for other products, I would be very
interested in see/sharing those too.  Please email me!

For those interested in the Symantec product, the following is some
output from what it does.

Pop-up introduction:

----------

CleanWipe will remove all remnants of the following products from a
computer:

 * Symantec Endpoint Protection
 * Symantec AntiVirus
 * Symantec Client Security
 * Symantec Sygate Enterprise Protection
 * Symantec Network Access Control
 * Norton AntiVirus
 * Symantec System Center
 * Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Note: The following cautions apply to the use of CleanWipe:

- CleanWipe removes all of the listed applications.  You cannot select
individual applications to remove.

- CleanWipe may also remove LiveUpdate.

- CleanWipe may also remove Virus Definitions.

- If you have other Symantec applications on the computer that depend on
any of the applications listed above, those applications may not
function properly.  You need to reinstall the missing applications after
you run CleanWipe.

----------

Sample command line output:

----------

External step - Dynamically Setting Environment Variables.
External step - Removing services.
External step - Call ServiceShutdown.exe to shutdown services.
External step - Call TerminateProcesses.bat to terminate processes.
External step - Removing LiveUpdate.
External step - Cleaning the MSI Registry.

Started detailed MSI product code search at 11:57:35.47

Finished detailed MSI product code search at 11:58:30.92

External step - Call UninstallSymEvnt.bat to uninstall SymEvent.
External step - Call UnregisterDLLs.bat to unregister DLL's.
External step - Removing Website.
External step - All Virus Definitions and Decomposers will be removed.
External step - Modifying registry key values.
External step - Symantec files under the Windows folder will be deleted.
External step - Call deletefiles.exe to remove all application files.
External step - Call deletefiles.exe to remove application specific
files.
External step - Removing empty folders.
===========================
Restart the computer...
===========================

----------

A GUI-based pop-up then appears, requiring a restart.  The pop-up
states:

----------

CleanWipe is going to accomplish a restart of the system next.

Not the greatest example of English grammar, but it does what it says.
I've tested this on a few different systems (servers and workstations),
and it works as advertised and well.  I have not tested or looked into
automation.  During its run, it creates a subdirectory in the user's
temp folder and deposits multiple files that actually perform the
cleaning functions.

All of which is why I'd like to document it before unleashing it and
having to deal with any questions regarding it.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Micheal Espinola Jr