From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Question on Defragging and SQL 2005

I like SQLIOSIM. It can tell you a LOT.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCSE/Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com

From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:09 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues

I ma reading some of the SQL whitepapers, and for SAN based storage
write aligning at 64K is recommended and since SQL takes pages in
extents of 8 X 8 Pages I am looking to go with 64K. Although recommended
sizes for the format can be up to 256K, and low at 4K. It depends on
your read and writes and whether they are sequential or random.

Logs are separate  ( ON SAN (EMC DMX 1000)) from the Data Array both are
RAID-5 on a 5+1 disk structure with 32GB of On Board cache on the SAN
backend.

Michael: Do you also use SQLIOStress or SQLIOSIM to test your disk I/O
accordingly to see if you are getting the bandwidth you are expecting. (
HBA/SAN Switch/SAN backend cache, disk speed and throughput?)

Edward E. Ziots

Network Engineer

Lifespan Organization

MCSE,MCSA,MCP,Security+,Network+,CCA