The few times we've had to do it we whitelisted the IPs on the firewall
that we wanted to allow connections from. If the connecting IP was on a
whitelist we'd NAT to the internal IP on port 3389 and the user would be
in. We had three users that needed access this way, so we whitelisted
their home office IPs (they were technically dynamic, but never really
changed). Worked in a pinch, although didn't make me feel good either. SSL
VPN was the end solution that allowed them easy access relatively
inexpensively.
Jeff

"Bob Fronk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/01/2008 04:34 PM
Please respond to
"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>

"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
cc

Subject
Public TS - opinions?

I have a client that wants to keep a terminal server available publicly to
be accessed from multiple sites where a VPN is not possible due to money
and equipment constraints.  The outside users just use the Remote Desktop
and connect directly to the public IP.

I feel this is a security risk.

What is the groups opinion and what do you think is a good work around or
ways to at least reduce the security problems?

Bob Fronk

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for
the intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you should
not read, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions
expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those
of the Davis H. Elliot Company . Warning: Although precautions have been
taken to make sure no viruses are present in this email, the company
cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the
use of this email or attachments.