From: Charlie Kaiser [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 9:59 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Naming convention for Servers

Not really. If your internal servers are under enough of an attack to
make security through obscurity important, you have bigger things to
worry about. Proper hardening, auditing, rights assignments, and regular
inspection of audit logs will help with internal security (the curious
guy who wants to poke around at the file server or DC).
Renaming the servers for the sake of a naming convention could produce
more problems than you solve, though. There are enough netbios
name-dependent applications out there to really whack you if you miss a
couple during a rename, especially if they're homegrown apps. Using a
naming convention going forward though, makes a lot of sense. So does
renaming as you rebuild or replace hardware.

Charlie Kaiser
W2K3 MCSA/MCSE/Security
Systems Engineer
Essex Credit / Brickwalk