"Can you" questions can often be answered with easy "yes" answers and a
few keywords. Sometimes better to refer to specifics on the resume of the
person and ask "how did you", or pose hypothetical situations that home
users get themselves into, and see how he would troubleshoot / fix.

"Gavin Wilby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/20/2008 08:09 AM
Please respond to
"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>

"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
cc

Subject
Interviewing a home user engineer.

Hello All,

I have just had this sprung on me this morning that tomorrow afternoon I
am interviewing a new guy for a position in our company. The role is going
to specifcally be for home user support - and basic 1st line network
support.

Thing is, I have never conducted an interview before!

What sort of things should I be asking the guy and in what manner? Im only
interested in the technical side of things, my boss will be handling
everything else. Heres a short list that I have pulled out of thin air ;)

What experience do you have of operating systems? Are you happy with
Windows 9x, NT, XP and above. OSX? Installation and troubleshooting.
Are you familier with the various Office suites?
Can you troubleshoot various hardware configurations and issues?
Can you setup and configure printers, faxes and MFD's. Give me an example.
Can you set up WIFI connections - how would you set them up (security,
access etc)
Can you explain things to a home user in a manner that they will
understand (example).
Can you be patient and tolerant to a home user with little or no technical
ablity?
What level of training have you had - what would you like to achive? (MCP,
CompTIA, further education?
AS I say, I have just pulled these out of thin air - so would value any
advice.

Gavin.