You made me think on a Saturday! Shame on you!

No, that won't help you. MAPI/CDO have nothing to do with WMI.

Really, the easiest way to do this is to use dsquery or adfind. This is what
I recommend to the OP.

To wit:

C:\Temp>adfind -config -f objectcategory=msexchexchangeserver dn
serialnumber

AdFind V01.37.00cpp Joe Richards ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) June 2007

Using server: win2003-dc.essential.local:389

Directory: Windows Server 2003

Base DN: CN=Configuration,DC=essential,DC=local

dn:CN=WIN2003-EXCH,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=essential,DC=local

>serialNumber: Version 6.5 (Build 7638.2: Service Pack 2)

dn:CN=WIN2008-EXCH,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group
(FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First
Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=essential,DC=local

>serialNumber: Version 8.1 (Build 30240.6)

2 Objects returned

C:\Temp>

Regards,

Michael B. Smith