This is done in the SBS world all the time in that a secondary server in a SBS environment running active directory can not hold any of the FSMO roles, or SBS breaks.

To accomplish it, you need to follow these steps:

http://www.petri.co.il/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

David Lum wrote:
I'm reading up on virtualizing domain controllers and found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

It says, in part:
"We recommend that you locate critical server roles on domain
controllers that are installed directly on physical hardware. Critical
server roles include the following: * Global catalog servers * Domain Name System (DNS) servers * Operations master roles, also known as flexible single master
operations (FSMO)"

How do you have a domain controller that doesn't have a FSMO role
associated with it?

Dave Lum - Systems Engineer [EMAIL PROTECTED] - (971)-222-1025 "When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands"