Sorry for the bad description earlier...here is a more detailed description
of what is happening.
There is a startup repair feature that starts and tries to repair the system
every time the system boots (even if you hit f8 and try safe mode or last
known good). Then the startup repair tool tries to repair the OS but it
stops with a message stating it cannot repair the system automatically. the
menu options are " send info" "don't send" with a detailed window below of
the error the startup repair tool is having.
details are....

Problem signature:
Prob Event Name:    StartupRepairV2
Prob Signature 01:   AutoFailover
Prob Signature 02:   6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
Prob Signature 03:   6
Prob Signature 04:   2031647
Prob Signature 05:   CorruptFile
Prob Signature 06:   BadDriver
Prob Signature 07:   0
Prob Signature 08:   3
Prob Signature 09:   WrpRepair
Prob Signature 10:   10
OS Version:             6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID:                  1033

When i choose to "don't send" i can view the diagnosis and repair details
from the startup repair.
which shows you the tests and diags that were run and has a "root cause
found" at the end that states that  Start up Repair has tried several times
but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

I can then go to advanced repair options. which brings me the system
recovery options. this has the following options available.

Startup repair  (can't fixit)
System Restore (none found)
windows Complete PC Restore (don't want to wipe it yet. would like to
recover without dumping OS)
Windows Memory Tool (100% pass)
command prompt   ( not like previous ASR can't seem to get the right command
for this issue)
Toshiba Recovery Wizard  ( Don't want to lose the data)

>From the command prompt i get the path X:\sources\recovery\Tools>
run a chdsk c: /F completes with no problems.

reboot and symptoms repeat...

I think its a hardware issue now because i have now been running "chkdsk c:
/R"
And its been trying to repair bad sectors and moving items around for 20
hours now.
So, looks like it will end up being a disk issue but i will run a disk util
(spinrite or disk doctor)  next to see if it can get it running.

Thanx!

Roy MacDonald