I did a similar recovery for a friend about 6-8 months ago.  In his case MBR
went corrupt, and I suspect it was a virus that did it (after I booted the
system, I cleaned out quite a few of those).

The way I got it to work was to use some utility on Hiren's Boot CD to apply
standard MBR.  This should change the message to something like "System not
found" or something along those lines.  After that I used recovery CD to
launch fixmbr or fixboot (or both) to actually apply windows record.  That
worked.

This, obviously, comes with all standard disclaimers.

If data valuable, and you can read the disk in another machine, or off some
boot CD, and are able to copy it off, you may want to do it before much
experimentation to avoid loosing the data for good.

Lenny