But the crazy thing is that nothing has changed on that share in terms
of permissions (or anything else I'm aware of).

If I can access the share directly (via \\servername\sharename), then
permissions must be okay, right?

In doing some testing today, it's looking as though the problem appears
on XP machines after SP3 is installed. And on Vista, too, the issue
appears to be tied to some specific update (although we've not yet
figured out which one). But since 99% of the machines at that school are
XP, that's what we're focusing on for the moment.

One thing I did find was that the share was configured to allow offline
files, which I recall reading should be avoided with DFS. So I turned
that off a couple of hours ago, but it doesn't seem to have made a
difference. I also found a second server at a second school that had
offline files enabled for its shared folder, but I've had no problems
accessing that one.

John