From: Ben Scott [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:56 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: FedEx Ship Mangler

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone use this?

  Unfortunately, we have to use FedEx Ship Manager (FSM) here.  That
software is a giant pile of steaming canine excrement.  It's hugely
bloated.  We run it on Pentium 4 computers with 1 GB RAM, and it's
still very slow to start.  (UPS WorldShip is nice and speedy on the
same PC.)  FSM is fragile and falls apart spontaneously.  The UI is
clunky and counter-intuitive.  It's hard to find things.

  It keeps all its data in a database server they've licensed (Sybase
Adaptive SQL Anywhere), but the only approved way to back it up is
using the program UI.

  If you're using it with a thermal label printer, it sends printer
control codes directly.  It apparently decides which control codes to
send by looking at the name of the Windows printer object (icon).  So
if we rename the printer from "Eltron LP2844" to "FedEx label
printer", it formats the labels incorrectly.

  When you start the application, it actually starts several other
processes which run concurrently with it.  That includes the database
server, which runs as a tray icon.  If and when the main application
crashes, you have to run a special utility to close all the other
processes down before you can restart the main process properly.

  Their phone support varies from "well meaning but unable to help" to
"totally incompetent".  Circa 2000, while on a tech call, I said I was
running Windows 98, and the phone tech asked, "Windows 98... is that
like Windows 95?".

  They expect you to run it as administrator, and they get confused
when you explain about things like "security" or "user accounts".  It
expects to be able to write to the FedEx registry branch(es) under
HKLM.  It also expects to be able to write to a few directories under
the program install directory.  So far, I've found that granting
<Modify> permission to <Users> on the files and registry branches in
question will make it work okay.  The objects are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FEDEX
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FedEx Services
C:\Program Files\FedEx\ShipManager\Rate
C:\Program Files\FedEx\ShipManager\ROUTE
C:\Program Files\FedEx\ShipManager\Temp\

> For the client/server model, the software has to apparently be running on
> the console as it doesn't run as a service?

  Correct.

  Welcome to hell.  Here's your copy of FedEx Ship Manager.

-- Ben