Not a Cisco guru myself, but a guy I used to work with used to get his
configs done up in notepad beforehand.  He could then copy and paste to his
hearts content, and modify, edit and correct things he found along the way.
When he had the config as he wanted, he would telnet into the switch /
router, and paste in the config changes.  Not sure if this is what you are
getting at or not, but it sure beats typing line by line at the prompt.

hth,

Andrew.