I would say that part of being a successful "IT guy", is being able to bring
your accomplishments to the attention of others. If you do your job and do it
well yet no one realizes that, then you are doing something wrong.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 12:09 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Five Things....

I think that's the difference.  Your company was built with IT, and an
IT-centric person is very near the top.  They "get" it.

For the most part, I agree with the lack of recognition sentiments.  What I did
was invisible to the rest of the company, because I did it well.  They never
knew when there was a problem, upgrade, etc.  If they did know about it, it was
because mistakes were made.  I get that though.  I am an "IT Guy".  I knew what
I was getting myself into, and I'm fine with it.

I only recently started working for my current company, but it seems better
here.  I am looked at as a person that can, and will, help them do business
better.