No, it shouldn't function. You can't add local users from one machine to
another machine. The only security principals you can add are the ones that the
server *hosting* the share knows about: local users on the remote server, or
domain users.

If there is an "IUSR_PC1" account, it must have been created as a local account
on Server1, and the passwords synched between the two local accounts.

That is one way of getting a web server's default anonymous user account to be
able to write to a remote file share (the other is using domain account).

> I'm told it has functioned until Friday afternoon

I think your co-worker is confused.

Cheers
Ken