From: Benjamin Zachary - Lists [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:29 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: VMWare / Virtualization

To add to that, a well configured vmware box can arguably perform better in
certain environments if you can take advantage of the vswitch capabilities.
While you have a front end app with a back end database you could put those
on the SAME vm and create virtual NICs that never touch the network
interface it just gets 'switched' over from one box to the next, your
throughput goes up significantly as well as your not using that same 1gb
port for the incoming connections *and* the outgoing backend connection.

I have ported over just about everything, including systems with hardware
devices, like serial port devices (vmware server though) although I wouldn't
do it as a rule of thumb.

If you plan to take advantage of the Vmotion and DRS features of vmware, you
could theoretically simply put one vm on a physical box, and have it fail
over to another, so you gain the auto failover as well as you could in event
of failure of other systems use that machine with its stand alone vm as the
designated 'temporary' area for other vm's during a vmotion or drs period.

So while putting 5-10 servers on a physical box is GREAT, you could also
benefit on the devices that cant really share resources on a full time basis
but be used in a limited scenario.