I have a few clients where we don't use the Home Folder attribute in AD.  No
real ill effects, unless a) you are using a GPO that references it (for
instance, Folder Redirection of My Documents) and b) you depend on Office
using it as the default file location.   If you aren't concerned about
either of those, you shouldn't be missing much.  Your users might. :)

-- Durf

--
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.