Be sure to take a close look at the applications that are available for each
appliance.

Can the appliance do both SAN and NAS?

What are their provisioning tools like? How easy can you provision a LUN?

Backup and Recovery. Compliance?

What are their Exchange / SQL tools like? Or whatever other applications you
may use.

Watch their snapshot technology and keep a close eye on performance impact
during a snapshot.

With ESX, we were originally running over ISCSI but I've recently moved
everything to NFS storage. I find it to be much more flexible.

VMware is also a prime candidate for deduplication, so ask if your vendor
offers dedupe technologies.