From: Joe Fox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:01 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: HIPPA and wireless

Ok, so I missed that thread.  I already had advised Shook to use the
highest level of encryption afforded by the device in my followup and in
my original post said that most devices support WPA2.  If you're using
the highest level of encryption afforded by the device, in this case
WPA2, then hiding the SSID can't hurt.  In George Ou's articles on
ZDNet, when he was referring to hiding SSID's as a security measure, I
believe that he was referring to using that as your only security
measure, without any type of encryption (read as "Open Network").  Same
goes for MAC address filtering - not effective if there is no encryption
is involved.

As far as LEAP being useless, it is only useless when combined with weak
passwords.  Since we were using Cisco ACS to hook into AD, our password
policy required strong passwords, with a very aggressive password
expiration and history policy.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion that may have been in my initial

-Joe

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Phillip Partipilo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>