We don't use VMware for any production database.

Before anyone takes off on how 'anything' can be virtualized you
really have to consider your environment.  Will the hardware you have
support your virtual needs?  The biggest single factor we run into is
disk IO to our storage systems causes issues.  Virtualization adds
complexity to your environment.  It is yet another thing to
troubleshoot and point of failure.  Like anything this can be
mitigated.  Do you have the staff/resources to maintain your
environment if you add virtualization to your tools because it does
take resources.  It is worth in most cases this learning curve, but it
is there and you really will want to send someone to class if you can.

There are vendors who do have applications that don't do well.  Most
of these applications are very sensitive to any introduced latency.
Real time communications systems, larger databases, poorly written in
house applications.  Virtualization is not a one size fits all.  Some
of those venders don't want to support it because it adds cost to
support calls.  Others because they haven't tested it yet (for
whatever reason) and still others because they have tested it and it
really doesn't do well when you scale it. It does solve many needs, it
does fit many more then it doesn't but it doesn't fit everything and
often depends on your environment on how much it will solve for you
and whether the added expense is covered by what you save by removing
a physical server and it's attendant support needs.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org