I have 2 virtual NICs on the machine. The NIC that has the IP address of
the DNS server is configured to not register with DNS. Also, no
protocols other than TCP/IP are bound to that NIC.

From: Jon Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:11 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Server 2008 DNS / Firewall Problem

John, if you are using multiple IP's assigned to one NIC on a virtual
machine and the virtual machine is 2008 expect problems with 2003 DNS.
I have several web sites and multilple FTP as well as one SMTP server on
one virtual 2008 server and if I have the register with the DNS is
checked ALL of the IP's check in as the same machine, as well as their
web/ftp/smtp/printer.  Messes up remote access as well.  I think that
might have been the issue yesterday with the "firewall" blocking the FTP
sites.  I am still trouble shooting this but I do know that if you
change it back to register in DNS it wipes the static entry and resets
everything wrong again.

Jon

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM, John Hornbuckle