I agree that most of our experience with ESX has been very positive.
However, this particular bug had such big ramifications.  Plus the EMC
companies haven't had good luck in the past couple of weeks with some
patching:

1) When we originally installed our RSA Authentication manager, it was
encouraged and even recommended that we install on VMWare.  We even had an
RSA tech on site assisting.  Well 2 weeks ago we started to do an upgrade.
After multiple failures, we call RSA support.  The technician sheepishly
stated the new version won't work on VM.  A few days later we got a mass
email saying it wouldn't work.  So VMWare will host most applications ---
just not one of thier own.  The irony is pretty thick.

2) Then the ESX Update 2 issue.

3) Yesterday we received a patch for EMC DiskXtender.  An hour later we
received an emergency email and phone call "Do NOT install that patch!"

Previously I believed that all 3 companies had quality products and
excellent QA and release processes.  Maybe it's growth or integration pains,
or market pressure for new versions, but it seems some quality process has
declined a bit.

Kevin