Try this:
http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/guyt/archive/2008/03/22/windows-serve
r-core-coreconfigurator-to-the-rescue.aspx

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Garmon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 8:49 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: How to Display/Change Workgroup name in Server 2008 Core

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Garmon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:35 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

I'm Googling high and low and can't find an answer to the following
question:

How do I change the name of the Workgroup that a Server 2008 core
machine
uses?

I found netdom as a tool to join a domain, but we're in a Workgroup
environment and trying to use netdom to change the workgroup name has
not
been successful.

And while I'm on that subject, I also can't figure out how to get Server
Core to show me what the name of the current workgroup is. I assume it's
the
MS default "Workgroup" but I'm not sure. How can I check this directly
from
the server core machine?