You pretty much nailed it John.

You build a single backup server, install the agents on the other servers,
and then back them up from the BU server.

If I remember correctly, for the Exchange server though you would need both
the remote agent and the Exchange agent. At least if you want to backup
anything more than just the stores. I've heard that in 12.0 you can now
restore individual mailboxes and messages without doing BLB's.

There may be some additional agents you need (or want) as well which are
listed here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=
<http://www.symantec.com/business/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=&pvid=57_
1> &pvid=57_1

I've never seen the ExaGrid system in action, but Dedupe rocks. You should
enjoy that.